Wednesday 31 December 2008

Serve me right.

I wrote this in cakappenang but I think it is worth repeating it in this blog. I have long been fed up of the laptop issued by the ministry. Its performance is way below optimum despite the number of times it was sent servicing. After each service there was no notable difference at all.

Fed up, I decided to get myself my own laptop. After looking at a few specs, I decided on an Acer with AMD processor. With the extra ram and bluetooth installed it costs just a little over 2K, a downliner you may add.

Yesterday, the laptop was supposed to be ready. I opted not to take the bag that comes with it in exchange for an access point. No it was not a 1 to 1 trade. I had to top up a bit. Since my laptop would not come with a bag, I went to Campbell street to get me a cheap backpack.

Backpacks are more handy with more storage. Don't go thinking that I wanted the backpack because it was the trendy thing to do. Anway it cost me only 55 MYR.

Last night the guy from the shop said that my laptop would be ready at 9 and so at around 9.05 I was at his shop which was also a cybercafe. The access point was not yet configurated so I waited. After sometime both my wife and I were fed up of waiting so we left for dinner.

I took the backpack with me but my wife advised me against it but I took it along anyway because it could be stolen by those who came to surf.

We went to MacD at Sungai 2 near USM. After helping myself to a quarterpounder and mywife a prosperity burger we left. As I approached my car, I saw the cabin light on and the signals blinking but no alaem. I thought that I could have left the door slightly ajar. When I reached the car, sure enough the door on my side was not tightly shut. I got in thinking that nothing was amiss.

Then my wife asked me where I put the backpack. I turned to the passenger seat and realised that someone had broken into my car and stole the backpack. If I had taken the laptop along and chose to take the access point today then that would be the end of the laptop.

Upon further investigation, I saw the window lock of the driver's door jammed inwards. So I did not only lose a stupid 55 ringgit backpack but would also have to spend I don't know how much to get the locks replaced.

I bought another backpack at another shop. The cheapest the had was 88 MYR. Thats more money down the drain.

Serve me right. Sometimes we must not try to be too clever. Its good to listen to logical advise.

19 comments:

MikeLing said...

Nothing stolen. No crime committed. It's only your perception that your car got broken into and the bag missing. Take a nap and everything be alright.

Anonymous said...

never even leave your laptop in the boot; they say a sensor can detect the laptop inside. Happy New Year to you and your family.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the alert Cikgu, and yes I have friends who had the experience of their notebook being taken even if it is kept in the boot.

And may you have a happy new year and good health all year round. Quarterpounder ain't helping. That is a sin food.

monsterball said...

kata tak nak...May I take this opportunity to wish you and your family...lots of happiness...good health....peace in mind.
May 2009 brings you much success in your teaching career.

Unknown said...

Mikey,
I lost the backpack and must now repair the car lock.

Happy new Year to you.

Unknown said...

anonymous,
Yap, I learnt my lesson.

Happy New Year.

Unknown said...

Frankie,
Sometimes we just forgot and pay for our lapse in memory.

Anyway, Happy new year.

Unknown said...

Monty,
I wish you a Happy new Year and may you have many more new years to brighten up blogosphere.

cakapaje said...

Salam Cikgu,

What anon17:43 mentioned is so very true. Nowadays, having luxury of connection whilst traveling is proving to be not so convenient after all.

Unknown said...

Shah,
I wonder whether this people are trained by sarkas so that not too many would blog.

No it was my fault and I pay for it. Just a thought, how much would my set cost if it was government issued?

Sammy said...

chegu, never leave any bags, except maybe gym bags in the car. A lot of opportunists these days, and they come in all sizes. Take your laptop bag with you where ever you go, makes you look cool or maybe younger, might also be mistaken for a uni student :)

btw, quarterpounders and all that meat is not good for you, eat healthy and live longer. Happy New Year!

ps : there's no such thing as a gadget to detect harddrives or batteries in laptops, computers, jz ppl who leave bags in openview or transfer their bags to their car boots when they reach their destination.

Anonymous said...

Cikgu, sorry to hear of the assault on your car and backpack. Just today, I received an email alerting of a tracking device the thieves would use to track laptops placed inside vehicles. It seems that the device can pick up signals from the laptops, even though it is turned off. So the safe thing to do is to remove the battery and hide your laptop, if you really need to keep it in the vehicle.
A blessed new year to you and your family!

Unknown said...

samson,
Yes, I learnt my lesson. The problem is that it is getting worse nowadays. Could the economy also be a contributory factor?

Unknown said...

Peng,
I don't know if there really is such a gadget but to be safe lets just assume that there is one. I'll be vigilant.

Happy New Year to you too.

NURAINA A SAMAD said...

May you and your family have a wonderful new year!

Daphne Ling said...

Dear Chegu,

Just dropping by to wish you and family a wonderful New Year...May 2009 be a better year for all...=)

Ydiana said...

Cikgu

Geram kan, when it happened. Luckily your notebook was not in there yet. Never leave anything like a bag or look like one in the car, even plastic bags, if possible. When driving don't leave handbags or laptop bags on passenger seat without locking the door.

Lastly, stay safe, and Happy New Year!

aN_archi said...

Poor fellow ! He should have broken into the school computer lab and hauled away all the new computers with LCD screens. That way the school will get into the news before school re-opens and make the Jabatan and PPD guys remember your school name.

Anonymous said...

greetings cikggu
remember me? the anonymous guy who wishes to reamin anonymous because he loves his job way too much than anything else? heheheh. anyway hepi new year sir.glad u n ur misus are well and were not harmed during the incident.look at that angle my dearest cikgu ,whom i admire. peace and keep happy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blog Archive