Wednesday 15 April 2009

He was only 50

About half an hour ago an old friend, Ah Hin, called, in between tears, to inform that another old friend Ravi has passed away. "Heart attack" he said. I was truly speechless. The news really stunned me and I couldn't believe it. He was only 50, a police sargeant.

When I was 8, my family moved to Taman Sentosa in BM and soon enough I made new friends and amongst them, the closest were Ravi, Ah Hin, Mani (Ravi's brother - deceased - cancer) Christie, Lawrence, Franco, Jerry, Ah Bin, Ah Hock, Ah Lai, Kesu and Devu, (deceased) all lived in the same Taman.

Then there were others who joined us from other areas. There were Pete fat, Pete short and Pete Black, Kim Guan and Kashmir Singh (deceased, last year)

Ravi was especially close to me because he was extremely friendly and easy to get along with. Actually, in those times, we used to spend almost every waking, non-schooling time together, foraging the jungle, swimming in a pool at in the jungle, catapulting birds and iguanas, curi ayam and loafing at a nearby coffee shop.

When I had my first girlfriend, she happened to be Ravi's classmate and he voluntereed to be my postman. We were so very close. Even his brother, the late Ramanathan or Mani as we affectionately called him alias Nathaniel Dawson the name he would cheekily call himself, was a very-very close buddy of mine.

I remember how I cried in the van after coming home with Ah Hin in his van after visiting Mani who was terminally ill with cancer and Ravi was there looking all gloomy.

He joined the police force and worked in KL, Johore, Pahang and finally in Penang. We did not meet for so long during that time but after he was transferred to Penang we do meet though not as regularly as we would have wished for.

Last I met him was about 6 months back. In fact I promise to meet him more often. Last I spoke to him was about 2 or 3 months back when he called me saying that Ah Lai who was in Penang for a short break would like to meet me. I waited at the coffee shop but only Ah Lai turned up coz Ravi was on duty.

I still can't get over it. My children are using the car but as soon as they return I am heading for BM to pay him my last respect. Of course I expect to see the rest of the surviving gang members there.

How sad it has come to. Living, and making a living has forced old friends to only meet at the funerals of other old friends. This has got to change, at least for me.

My dear friend Ravi, Rest In Peace

19 comments:

AngeL BeaR said...

i am sorry for ur lost...

Sekolah Pramugari said...

Hi There... Just looking around,
Your blog is very nice,
would you like link x change with me..?

This is our blog : http://sekolahpramugari.blogspot.com/2009/02/flight-attendant-career.html

Kerp (Ph.D) said...

my deepest condolence on such a great loss cikgu.

friends since 8, you guys really impressed me.

but Heart attack does not discriminate, even young people are not sparred. remember a certain marc Vivien-Foe? he was young and as fit as a fiddle but succumbed to heart complication and collapsed on the field itself.

you take care cikgu. gonna start calling some of my good buddies to check out on them.

Unknown said...

Angel,
Yes, it was indeed a great loss.

Unknown said...

Kerp,
Yes and Bruce Lee, at the peak of his career and in good physical health also went down.

Yes, we should check out our old friends more often and not go see them at their funerals.

cakapaje said...

Salam Cikgu,

I'm sorry to read about your friend; May he rest in peace.

Take it easy Cikgu.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear the demise of ur close fren.Ur ending was thought provoking.U r right.as we grow older and lead a life of making a living or cari makan we tend to forget those beautiful precious little joys in our life, our FRIENDS.U are right.we have to change. i have to change.first things first.

Apa Kau Nak said...

Dear KTN, I'm sorry for your lost too. This posting has reminded me of a childhood friend I haven't met for many years because of work commitment. (growing up, we used to be with each other as much as u and late Ravi). A wake up call. :(

peng said...

Cikgu, do not let death rob you of the happy moments you and your friends had together. You will miss his physical being, but memories of him stays.
I am so encouraged to know the muhibah-ness in your circle of friends. You are a role model for young Malaysians.

frankie said...

Phases of life Cikgu, there is the time to punch in, the time to punch out, and as we grow older, we find more and more people we know starts to punch out.

The time on this earth is a non negotiable deal, just like the ball that left Cristiano Ronaldo's foot, destined to shake the net of Porto from 40 yards out.

Unknown said...

Salam bro...

I'm sorry for your loss. May your friend rest in peace.

Your last line is a hit straight home bro...

Gonna start calling a few close buddies of mine too. am glad we are connected here, at least I know how you are doing sir!

Unknown said...

shah,
Thanx Shah.

Unknown said...

Anonymous,
Yes, living and making a living has taken a toll on our lives and relationships.

Unknown said...

Eskapisminda,
Yeah so why not look them up? A phone call would be a good start.

Unknown said...

Peng,
Yes, indeed memories are all I have left.

Yes, we were a muhibah lot and I wouldn't want to change that for anything.

Unknown said...

Frankie,
Yo man, the 40 yard superstrike. Good god it was orgasmic.

Unknown said...

Raden,
Yes, look them out. I am glad to be considered a friend by you. You are one hell of a lady.

kopitelp16 said...

Sorry for your lost. Yes, indeed, most of the times we took things for granted and until we knew it, it was all too late. You're right, things gotta change.

I used to tell my friends that we are now wedding buddies, only get around for some other friends' wedding. That gotta change too!

Unknown said...

kopitelp,
For a while we will have the energy and urge to right what is wrong but we have to have more energy to sustain that desire because the demands of making a living is very great.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails